Tuesday 13 March 2018

A Little Help Needed


Are The Eighties Classed As Vintage Or Retro?


I have my own views on this ( no surprise there ). 

Antique is easy it has a clear definition.

Well this is my interpretation

Vintage in my opinion "is an item of a certain quality from a denoted period not necessarily an Antique".

Retro in my opinion " is of a style imitating the recent past.

The picture below shows a phone from the seventies/eighties.

I class this as both vintage and retro, lol

I would be very interested to hear your views.

By the way, Don't get me started on "classic".




Thanks for looking
Porgy & Bess xx

2 comments :

  1. Now there's a question!! The phone in the picture (in my opinion) is neither vintage or retro.... I would say repro as although it was made in 70s/80s, it does not represent the style of those decades, but is imitating a much earlier design. Vintage is something that is of a certain period and hasn't been altered in any way from the original and is created in a style befitting it's own age (and to me should be pre-60s), retro is a modern day take on vintage (and generally has elements of vintage style but not a direct copy). The phone could possible have been described as retro when it was made....but not now...... Classic, is something that epitomises the era from which it came....bet you wish you'd never asked now!! It's very subjective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa, I agree and disagree with everything you have just said but in a nice way.
      Always nice to hear peoples opinions on this, although there are dictionary definitions
      I think more and more things are becoming open to interpretation. Being located in a "vintage" centre has opened my eyes to the crossovers in definition.

      Delete